Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Favorite Words: Vol. I: BLAH

I don't know why I have begun to use this word so much the last few weeks, but it seems to be the perfect closing statement to anything I say or have been feelings. I looked up the word "blah" and Webster's Dictionary defines it as "silly or pretentious chatter or nonsense; a feeling of boredom, lethargy or general dissatisfaction." Being that I NEVER chatter about nonsense and I'm not pretentious because I don't have a clue what that word means, I realized that it does describe some of the things I have been feeling or going through.

I am not a party girl, never have, probably never will be. I do not like crowds or being out late at night or having to have extra money for cabs just in case I do. My friends are not into the same "scene" as I am, so I have no company to share in my usual quips. Alot of the people I know don't even know what a "quip" is so therefore I am usually disinterested in anything my friends are involved in. In other words, I'm a pretty boring girl. I get the most kicks out of buying $5 nail polish, which makes me feel fancy, and spending long hours mixing colors and painting my nails. I used to enjoy shopping but I cant afford anything that isn't on sale or isn't given to me as a gift, so all those hours of being out and shopping have dwindled to looking online at the wonderful things I cannot buy. I hate talking on the phone, I hate listening to people talk, I hate getting up period. Sometimes I wish I had my own apartment so I could experience boredom alone.

In terms of "disatisfaction" as stated in the definition, I seem to be very disatisfied with alot of things in my life. Work sucks because my managers are like 24 year olds who try to act like real adults and make demands that us 22 year olds are not with. Hunter College is trying to trap me in their school forever and I am forced to take 6 classes totalling 17 credits for one semester. My family is more fu*ked up than ever and I am in love. You may think this is just the normal life of any 20-something but I surely did not picture life to be like this.

So, I have made the word "blah" a solid part of my vocabulary. I say it when someone says something stupid or that I don't agree with; I say it when I am disgusted; I say it when something has startled me; I say it when im asked, "jaz, how are you today?" "Blah." I have even resorted to writing it on the board at work. Some idiot decided it'd be good for us to write our feelings down on board, beginning with the phrase "Today I am feeling_______" I believe I've wrote down "blah" at least 3x's.

Well I think I kinda like this idea of "My Favorite Words..." and I might make it a staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment